Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Going (sham)poo (and hair) free

It has been a really long time since I started thinking about getting rid of shampoo in our home. Over the years my hair has gotten progressively more oily, requiring more regular washing, aggravated by the fact that I run often and how much I sweat then. I very seldom wash our boys' hair (yes, faint right about now), and we never wash our dogs (double faint), and we see how healthy and CLEAN their heads/scalps and coats are, because they EAT healthily and no harsh chemicals interfere with the natural balance of skin oils. They are not smelly or oily, and with a regular good old rinse with water and the occasional wash with a mild soap (the boys' hair), their hair stays nice and clean.

I have been reading a lot about going shampoo free (like here and here), and about the possibilities of using only products such as bicarbonate of soda, but it was only after I took the decision to stop colouring my hair with harsh, unnatural colourants that I was ready to take the plunge. See, I have been colouring my hair for the best part of 15 years, first lighter and then darker, but I fear the greys have crept in over the years and I felt it was time to take stock of the situation up top. It was time to make peace with either grey roots or biweekly hair treatments, and neither was working for me.

The last time I coloured my hair was about 7 weeks ago, and the last time I washed my hair with conventional shampoo was more than 3 weeks ago. I started to wash my hair with bicarb every 5th day, and it really worked! My hair felt clean for about a day or so, but since my scalp has obviously not found it's balanced, natural state yet, (this apparently takes about 4 to 6 weeks), my hair was greasy for about 3 out of 5 days.

I thought I would be able to out-wait the outgrowth and the grease, but my impatience just got the better of me. Luckily for me my Hubs is a very brave, open minded man, and he didn't hesitate when I asked him if we could shave my head. He poured me a glass of red and jumped right in with the trimmer!

Before and after I took 'the plunge'.

I have to admit I really love this super short style way more than I thought, and waiting out the grease is 100% easier this way! I even have the Hubs now on bicarb-"shampoo" and he doesn't notice the difference in how his hair feels. We have a winner! My short hair doesn't feel (or look) greasy, and although I rinse it with water daily, I can easily go 5 days without a bi-carb wash. No more chemicals and unhappy, unhealthy scalps. And, as a bonus, I can see a huge improvement in my skin (face and neck) since washing my face with bicarb. It acts as a scrub and is mild enough to use daily. Topped off with some coconut oil moisturiser, my skin has never been happier, and virtually oil free. 


No comments:

Post a Comment