Saturday, October 11, 2014

Welcome!

Dear fellow lifers,

Welcome to this blog and thank you for stopping by.

I am Riana and my family and I live in the beautiful, small but cosmopolitan town of Swakopmund, Namibia. I am the wife of a hunky explorer husband and the mother of two toddler boys. Zee is 3 and Vee is almost 1.5 years old. I am fortunate to be a stay-at-home-mom and wouldn't trade it for the world. I used to be an environmental scientist before we started with a family. The Hubs travels a lot for work, all over the world, but we often schedule time to travel together and go on wild adventures. Which is easy. Since everything you do is wild when you have two toddlers!

The four of us in Moshi, Tanzania, in November 2013. Mt Kilimanjaro is in the back. 

We are an active family that love the outdoors and keeping fit. I run long distances and one of my bucket list items is to run a marathon on each of the seven continents. The Hubs is an athlete and avid mountaineer. He has scaled mountains such as Kilimanjaro, Mt Kenia, Devil's tooth in the Dragensberg just to name a few. This year he climbed the Rwenzori Mountains in Uganda, which was an absolute highlight for him. We are currently training for our first adventure race together at the end of October. The two of us will team up to tackle a 50 km course of rowing, kloofing, trail running and cycling in Wilderness, South Africa,  More to follow on that.

I am also a keen part-time aviator. I obtained my PPL (private pilot's licence) on a Cessna 172 last year and have since upgraded to fly a Cessna 182. I absolutely adore flying and do it as much and often as possible when the Hubster is home. I would like to do some bush flying courses later on to be able to ferry the Hubs to remote locations for his work. But my big dream is to fly a helicopter... A huge, shiny, noisy thing that can fly and land anywhere!

So you ask what is in the name of the blog... And I would say, as you can see, it is a pretty straight forward play on several words ;) ... But it mostly pertains to the large life that we endeavour to create for our children, as well as to being 'at large' on this planet and in life itself. That's worth pondering for a while!

With this blog I would like to connect with friends and family that live far away and abroad, but also with like-minded individuals who may find value from reading of our experiences who can also add value by commenting and sharing of their own experiences. We will provide race reports on the athletic events we participate in. I will also share some of my experiences of my short aviation career, and force/blackmail invite the Hubs to share some of his exciting mountaineering and other travelling experiences.

I would love to hear from you, whether it be a comment or just a 'like' or perhaps even a discussion. Thank you for reading.

3 comments:

  1. We've been waiting for this blog for ages! Thanks for sharing with us, Riana and Nico :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooooo excited to read about all your future adventures!! I'll be an avid follower, for sure! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you xxx I hope you'll like what you read!

    ReplyDelete